François goes into what it means to be an engineer.
Meet Daniel Cavazos
Daniel resides in San Antonio, Texas and is a Wireless Infrastructure Sales Engineer for Ventev.
Sorry, Daniel! We thought we had a photo of you but we must have missed it!
What Does It Mean To Be An Engineer
Definitions of an engineer:
A person who designs, builds, or maintains engines, machines, or structures.
A person qualified in a branch of engineering, especially as a professional.
My Definition of an Engineer
- Finding solutions to complex problematics
- The goal of an Engineer is to solve a problem most of the time complex problem involving a high level of technical skills
- Designing a new solution, a new Wi-Fi network
- Updating and maintaining a Wi-Fi infrastructure
- Troubleshooting a Wi-Fi issues
- All these tasks require us to understand what we are doing
Embrace the challenge
- Once you understand this, you have to embrace it
- Problem solving
- Embrace problems
- See them as a challenge rather than something negative. I really started to appreciate that idea working with more experienced Engineer
- Be able to understand the WHY
- Planning / Research
- Be able to know HOW to
- Be thorough and methodical
- You need to be able to support the solution you are proposing
Not only the technical skills
- You need to be able to communicate
- With other Engineers
- With less technical persons
- Explain and sometimes sell your solution to management
- You need to be able to document your work
- In a very detailed way for your peers
- In a summarized way for management
What do you think? Is it how you see your job? What other aspects of working as an Engineer are important?