As 6GHz access points are starting to ship, we wanted to talk about how 6GHz will change our day-to-day life working as a Wi-Fi Engineer.
In this episode, we talk about how 6GHz will impact the way we design and configure Wi-Fi networks.
Here is a quick agenda of the topics covered in this episode:
- 6GHz Coverage
- 6GHz Design Considerations
- 6GHz Device Classifications
- Where 6GHz will be deployed at first
- Limitation of 6GHz today
- Security Configurations
This episode comes after WLPC 2022 where a lot of discussions around 6GHz happened.
We recommend that you guys take a look at the following presentations from WLPC:
- Wes Purvis presentation from WLPC: “The Impact of 6GHz on Network Design” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIDDmzcPkns&t=2s
- David Coleman presentation from WLPC: “Wi-Fi 6E: It’s Almost Like Wi-Fi is Being Born Again!” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgL53Lh5TJE
- Presentation from Jatin Parekh from WLPC: “Practical Considerations for Deploying Wi-Fi 6E” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEvOhJxXRPQ&list=PLXJsNZqZEF9ZBJG-70N84cgyvqhxncRtH&index=8
Here are a few additional resources we have mentioned during the show:
- U-NII 6 GHz devices operating in the 5.925-7.125 GHz band: https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/comments/GetPublishedDocument.html?id=455&tn=713821
- Propagation Losses Through Common Building Materials from Robert Wilson: https://www.am1.us/wp-content/uploads/Documents/E10589_Propagation_Losses_2_and_5GHz.pdf
- CTS 218: https://www.cleartosend.net/cts-218-6ghz-psd-afc-with-chuck-lukaszewski/
- CTS 84: https://www.cleartosend.net/cts-084-channel-widths-devin-akin