We welcome Thomas Baudelet from France. Together, we talk about network and Wi-Fi troubleshooting in general and we go over the Mac OS application called Debookee that Thomas created which could be use to troubleshoot a Wi-Fi network.
Thomas Baudelet works as an independent Network Engineer and specializes in troubleshooting. He has been involved in the Wireshark community and he created a network analyzer application for MacOS called Debookee. Feel free to follow him on Twitter @debookee.
- Presentation of the Debookee tool, Thomas gave us a little bit of history on how he decided to create the tool
- Presentation of the different modules (including the Wi-Fi Monitoring module)
- Presentation of what is coming next (New SSL decrypt module)
- Thomas explains how he studied Wi-Fi in order to be able to create a tool that would be used by WLAN professionals
- Troubleshoot methodologies
- What tools does Thomas uses on the field
Screenshots of Debokee
Here are some useful links related to this week episode:
- Debookee website: https://debookee.com/
- Debookee Tools: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/debookee-tools/id1110355801
- Download and test Debookee: https://www.iwaxx.com/debookee/debookee.zip
- Thomas on Twitter: https://twitter.com/debookee
- Thomas’ really cool Business Card: https://twitter.com/tomlabaude/status/838747925052260354
Upcoming Episode on Wi-Fi Issue
Want to participiate in a future episode? Here is the link to the Wi-Fi issues submission form for one of our upcoming episode:
This Week in Wireless
- WikiLeaks says it has obtained trove of CIA hacking tools
- WikiLeaks has gained access to CIA hacking arsenal.
- The document shows that the CIA turn devices into collection devices (iPhones, iPad, Smart TV…).
- Additional unlicensed spectrum needed to deliver future Wi-Fi® connectivity
- The “Wi-Fi Alliance® commissioned the Wi-Fi Spectrum Needs Study to assess whether available spectrum resources will be sufficient to support Wi-Fi connectivity in the future. The study indicates that by 2020, Wi-Fi networks around the world will need access to significantly more mid-band spectrum than is currently available in the 5 GHz range to satisfy expected growth in Wi-Fi data traffic.”
- Download the study: http://www.wi-fi.org/file/wi-fi-spectrum-needs-study
- New CWNEs!!
- Tom Van Driessche from Belgium is now CWNE #219
- Aren Gates, who I believe works for Aerohive, is now CWNE #220
- CWTS Discontinued (Certified Wireless Technology Specialist)
- It has been announced by the CWNP this week, the CWTS will retire at the end of the year.
- This certification is a lifetime certification and you can still write the exam if you would like before the end of the year. CWNP is offering a $50 discount and free access to eLearning and practice tests material.
- Twitter announcement
- State of the CWNP program
- We’ve been interviewed by the PacketPushers podcast team about 2 months ago and they released our interview last week in an episode entitled “Wireless networking and where it’s going”. Weekly show episode 331.
- Carrier Wave
- As always, the great Carrier Wave from Omar Vazquez to keep in touch with all the amazing Wi-Fi blog articles being published.
Join Clear To Send
Come join the Clear To Send community.